Post-interview thoughts

Just ended my interview this morning. I left Hall too early and ended up being there 45 mins early. It was quite nerve-wrecking before the interview started and I was quite hungry by the time I reached the office :(. Things didn't turn out as what was expected and the department that I was interviewing for couldn't get the duty manager to interview in time and instead, I interviewed for another position in another department.

[What went wrong: I stumbled on my words while trying to explain myself. And the answers I gave wasn't even what I wanted to say.]

Yet, it was quite an enriching experience this morning despite things not going as planned.
Through the interview, I learnt more about the hotel industry and how much hard work and patience is required to climb the corporate ladder. It is also stereotyped to be one of the lowest paying industry and of course, this had me sit back for a moment to re-think about whether I was going to stay in this industry for a long time. And this has also forced me to re-think about what my passion is all about, whether I have the tenacity to bear the low pay and long working hours for my passion. And what is really my passion? So many questions to think about, so many factors to consider. Yes, some say just follow your passion and your heart, and eventually you'll come to do well in it. I hope it's true.

It dawned upon me that it is really important to discover your aspiration, and where yourself in a few years' time, then will you be able to make the right choice for your career path. Of course, it is easier said than done, which is what I'm currently facing.

I really envy those who have found their aspirations, their life goal, or what they vision themselves to be in future. Yet for me, my aspirations keep changing as I progress on with higher education, and I really can't seem to find what I like. I really like maths alot, and yet because I do not have the flair to teach, so I can only leave teaching as my last option. Sometimes, its quite frustrating to start thinking about life goals, career goals just at the age of 20 years old. This is perhaps the First World problem. In the Third World countries, all they need to think of is how to get a stable income, regardless of what job they are taking up. And yet, me, I have some many dilemmas about whether I want to be in this industry, or that industry etc.

Is following your passion and heart more important than sustaining a livelihood is more important? What if we get the best of both worlds? I really hope I do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

first day at NTU HALL 10- single room

Mid-week November thoughts

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going